Bass Pro Shops 6'6" medium-action Tourney Special IM-7 Graphite :
- Price, they run around $50 and can be found on sale for as low as $30.
- Multiple configurations (spinning and baitcast options)
- Many lengths and actions available
- Solid overall construction
- The only complaint I have - and this is really nothing against the rod - was that they did not have a two piece rod in stock. I tend to lean towards two piece rods as they are easier to travel with. Overall this is a great buy and the reviews on the Bass Pro website say the same!
I bought two of these and then set out to find a couple of reels to outfit the rods with. Both reels I bought ran about 30-40 dollars each, making each combo come in around $100.
1) Diawa 3550 Sweepfire with a rear drag option
2) Shimano Sienna 4000RD
Things I liked about these reels were the following:
- Rear drag; I prefer a rear drag system when fishing with live bait as it makes adjusting the drag much easier
- Very smooth
For the price I don't think I could have made a better decision with these do-it-yourself combos! I took them to the lake and put them right to work catching both trout and bass on them. I enjoyed them very much and would recommend any of the reviewed items above, so if you have any questions about the rod or reels, please let me know!