The easiest way to get into surf fishing is to get a rod and reel combo. The prices of these vary greatly from about $70 to $250. You can check your local sporting goods store for these and find one that fits into your budget. Bass Pro has multiple here. The following are a few things to look for when purchasing a combo:
1) Ensure that the reel is constructed of some sort of metal, try to avoid plastic
reels as they don't usually last long in the hash conditions of surf fishing. You need a reel that will stand up to the salt and sand that will
inevitably come in contact with your gear.
2) I prefer a rod of about 11 feet in length. Shorter rods can be tough to cast
once you have a rig attached to it. A longer rod will keep your line out of the waves when you are holding onto the combo or when it is placed in a
3) You'll want a reel rated for at least 15lb line.
Once you have picked out your combo you'll need some line for the reel. There are many choice when it comes to line, however I have two that I would recommend depending on your budget. I prefer the braided myself.
1) Mono line in 17lb. An example is Berkley's Trilene XT.
Pro: Cost, the cheapest choice.
Con: Larger diameter means less line on the reel and tougher casting.
2) Braided line in 20lb. An example is Berkley's FireLine.
Pro: Smaller diameter equal to 6lb mono, means easier casting and more line
on the reel.
Con: Cost, about 5 times the cost of the mono.
You now have your first surf fishing combo set up and are ready to hit the beach!